Au Pair Education and Transportation

The U.S. Department of State requires that all au pairs must complete 6 credits (or its equivalent if it is a non-credit course) at an accredited post-secondary institution over the course of their year. As a host family, you are responsible for paying up to $500 for enrollment and related educational expenses. The education requirement must be completed at an accredited college, university or community college.

For au pairs considering extending, classes must be complete 33 days before their last working day* as extension requests must be submitted to Department of State 30 days before au pair year end. Once an au pair completes the classes they must provide proof of completion (a copy of certificates, official letter on school letter head paper or copies of school transcripts with a grade. The documents need to indicate that the class the au pair took and the dates and hours or credits earned). Educational documents can be uploaded into au pair extension application or emailed to 

Au pairs who extend their program are required to take an additional 3 credits for a 6 month extension and 6 credits for a 9 or 12 month extension. Host families will pay up to $250 toward education for a 6 month stay and $500 for a 9 or 12 month extension.  Au pairs can carry over extra educational credits earned from their first year into their extension term. 

In addition to the educational stipend, host families are also responsible for covering reasonable transportation expenses including gasoline, parking, or public transportation costs (if applicable) to and from the local place of instruction.

Should you receive a replacement au pair at some time during the year and your first au pair has already used $500 for courses, you are still responsible for paying the balance needed-up to $500 – in educational expenses for your new au pair.  Education spent on your au pair will follow your au pair. 

If your au pair does not have use of the family car, it is best if the course is accessible by public transportation, as you are responsible for covering transportation costs or providing transportation to and from the class.

Wednesday, 23 August 2017 4:13 PM


Leave a reply