Castle Rock Au Pair Traveling Questions


Au pairs are invested in caring for your children. Your children are their number one priority. They will grow to love your children and often find themselves surprised at how much they end up emotionally invested in your family. Many au pairs will remain in contact long after they return home and will call your family their second family. While the majority of the time your au pair will be caring for your children, it is also important for her to enjoy the benefits and to encourage the exchange experience. Experiencing life in the U.S. is one of the reasons many au pairs apply to the program. How much traveling and how far an au pair will want to travel will vary. It is important for au pairs to be mindful of the travel restriction and what they need to do to avoid any issues or delays when reentering the U.S. if leaving the U.S. while on the au pair program. I am often asked where they can go when they are planning their vacations.

As a rule, au pairs should always keep all documents in a safe place and have copies made of their passport, J-1 visa, DS-2019 form and I-94 record.

For travel the following original documents are needed: Passport, J-1 Visa, DS-2019, I-94


J-1 visa The J-1 visa is not the same document as the DS-2019 form. The J-1 visa is the sticker that was pasted into the passport at the U.S. Embassy in the au pair’s home country. It includes information such as the au pair’s program dates, name, city, date of birth, and passport number.

Tourist visas

An au pair must always check if a tourist visa is needed before traveling outside of the U.S. The visa regulations are different for all countries and all nationalities.

DS-2019 form (certificate of eligibility for exchange visitor (J-1) Status)

If an au pair is planning to leave and re-enter the U.S., the DS-2019 form must, in most cases, be sent to the Boston office to be signed.

I-94 record

The I-94 is the Department of Homeland Security Arrival/Departure record issued to foreign travelers upon entry to the US.

List of all states and territories


The above maps show the location of each territory controlled by the United States. The United States is marked in blue, inhabited territories are marked in green, and uninhabited territories are marked in orange.The contiguous United States consists of the 48 adjoining U.S. states plus Washington, D.C. (federal district), on the continent of North America.[1] The term excludes the non-contiguous states of Alaska and Hawaii and all off-shore United States territories and possessions, which are American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.[2][3]

Inhabited territories of the United States

American Samoa


Northern Mariana Islands

Puerto Rico

Us Virgin Islands

Travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean in the Extension term

Travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean (except Cuba) for fewer than 30 days is allowed, even with an expired J-1 visa in your passport. This is known as “visa revalidation.” The following conditions must apply in order for you to travel to these countries:

  • You must have an unexpired I-94 card indicating your J-1 status in your passport when you enter the U.S. Do not surrender the I-94 card when you leave the U.S. If you do, you will not be eligible for visa revalidation.
  • You must have your DS-2019 form with your extension program dates.
  • You must have a passport valid at least 6 months into the future on the day you return to the U.S.

Travel During the 30 Day Travel Month (Grace Period)

Travel outside of the U.S. during the au pair’s 30 day grace period (Additional Month) is not permitted by the J-1 visa.  If an au pair leaves the continental U.S. during this month, re-entry to the U.S. will likely be denied. Cultural Care Au Pair has no authority in this case. The only exception to this rule is travel to Hawaii. An au pair may travel to Hawaii during the additional month.


ANSWER: If an au pair were to travel to one of the inhabited territories during their 30-day Travel month (Grace Period) by airplane or by a cruise and the airplane or cruise were to have mechanical difficulties and need to land in international territories this would cause a problem for the au pair. It is not advised.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please call me if you have further questions.

Friday, 23 June 2017 8:07 AM


Leave a reply