Interviewing candidates is exciting and nerve wracking! Having a successful interview will help everyone have an incredible and unique experience welcoming an au pair into their home. The au pair will become a part of your family enriching your children’s cultural knowledge and perspectives while offering you flexibility. You will be able to trust and find comfort leaving your children in capable hands. My hope is to ease your tension with these quality questions
25 Questions to Ask your Next Au Pair!
- What is your favorite place in the house?
- If I walked into your room, what would I see?
- What do you think children like about you the most?
- How do you feel about taking care of twins/three kids/older kids/babies/strong-willed kids/special needs?
- What is something that I should know about you that I wouldn’t know to ask?
- What scares you the most about working with our family and your au pair year?
- If it’s close to dinner time and the kids are hungry, tired, screaming, what are a few food items you can put together quickly to make them calm?
- What is your family’s policy on dating and drinking alcohol?
- How do you feel about driving on ice, rain, at night?
- We are ________religion. How do you feel about celebrating__________holidays? Would you be interested in joining us?
- What are your goals for your au pair year?
- Two kids are fighting together, how do you handle this?
- How do you feel about being in charge when a Host parent is home?
- Diet and exercise?
- Do you feel comfortable giving the kids’ medication when they are sick? (Do they know how to take a temperature?)
- What do you like most about the time you spend with your family in your home country?
- What are some important dates for your family?
- What is your favorite meal of the day and why?
- How do you want the au pair to spend her free time? Do you want a homebody or someone who is out of the house?
- Curfew rules. What are the rules in her house now? What are your rules? How will she ensure that she is compliant with your rules?
- A host kid does something great! What are the kinds of rewards you would give them?
- What is something you want to change about yourself?
- Would you like to extend for two years with the right family?
- Did you look at the schedule? What do you think about your time off and your time working?
- Are you more organized and like rules and a fixed set of responsibilities, or do you like to be creative and set your own tasks?
Saturday, 29 October 2016 4:47 AM